Tributes and retrospectives have been announced for the 50th edition of the prestigious Karlovy Vary International Film Festival. The Czech fest will run from the 3rd to the 11th of July, and will feature programmes dedicated to Ukrainian filmmaker Larisa Shepitko and American actors John Cazale and Sean Penn, alongside a week focusing on Lebanese cinema. More details below:
A Week of Lebanese Cinema
- E Meut (Corine Shawi)
- Hors la Vie (Maroun Bagdadi)
- A Perfect Day (Joana Hadjithomas and Khalil Joreige)
- Sleepless Nights (Eliane Raheb)
- Under the Bombs (Philippe Aractingi)
- The Valley (Ghassan Salhab)
- West Beirut (Ziad Doueiri)
- Where Do We Go Now? (Nadine Labaki)
Four out of nine directors responsible for the eight films screening in KVIFF's special Lebanese programme are female, putting Cannes' current selections to shame. Features hail from between 1991 and 2014, and encompass a variety of genres and levels of recognition. A vital sidebar for fans of world cinema, who'll surely be in high attendance at this year's festival.
Take a look at the details on the Shepitko, Cazale and Penn retrospectives after the cut.