Sunday 8 February 2015

ALEJANDRO GONZALEZ INARRITU WINS DIRECTORS GUILD OF AMERICA AWARD FOR BIRDMAN


I'm an Oscar watcher in the moment. Which is to say that I enjoy the Oscar race as it occurs, and have little interest in those which have already occurred. And, being a child of the '90s, I've limited familiarity with many Oscar hits of the past. For films of 1995, for example, I was far more compelled to seek out Tran Anh Hung's Cyclo than Mel Gibson's Best Picture winner Braveheart. For films of 1989, I was far more compelled to seek out Peter Greenaway's The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover than Bruce Beresford's Best Picture winner Driving Miss Daisy. There have been some truly terrible Best Picture winners both in my lifetime and before my birth, some which I have seen and some which I have not. And although I can attest to some recent turds, such as A Beautiful Mind or Crash, none quite as bad as BirdmanNo, it hasn't yet won the Oscar, but with PGA and SAG awards in the bag, it just won the DGA for its director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu. This puts it firmly on track to winning the Oscar for Best Picture two weeks from today, on the 22nd of February. In so doing, it'd be the worst Best Picture winner that I have seen since The Sound of Music (I recognise that I'm in a minority about that one, btw, but the stat's still alarming, since that film was released 49 years before Birdman). Oh well. What can you do? Hope for a Boyhood win, the best case scenario as it appeared, has almost entirely evaporated. I may well jump out a window and fly away from all this shit. Other wins at the DGA's ceremony yesterday included Laura Poitras for Documentary film, winning for CitizenfourThe guild's nominations can be viewed here.

No comments:

Post a Comment