Friday 16 May 2014

10 YEARS AT THE MOVIES: BEST FILM #5 - NORTE, THE END OF HISTORY (LAV DIAZ)


The first film I saw at my first visit to a major film festival (ok, semi-major: London) was first among all the films I saw in 2013. It was also my first Lav Diaz experience, and I look forward to as many more as possible. Densely detailed, philosophically rich beyond a level achieved in any other film last year, made with an exceptional degree of artistry, and moving in ways unfamiliar to me before I had the privilege of seeing it, Diaz's Dostoyevskian drama is so monumental a work of art, I can hardly wait to see it again, time and time again. I've written about it enough times already on this site, I think. Read back to find out what praise I've lavished upon Diaz's film over the past few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment