Monday 21 October 2013

IDA WINS LFF BEST FILM AWARD


It may not have been my favourite film at LFF, never mind my favourite among the competition titles I saw (though I did only see three), but I can appreciate the level of artistry achieved by Pawel Pawlikowski in Ida, which won the Best Film prize at London on Saturday night, given out by jury president, recently-retired film critic Philip French. The film also won the FIPRESCI prize at TIFF last month. Additionally, the Grierson award for Best Documentary went to Paul-Julien Robert's My Fathers, My Mother and Me, the Sutherland award for the Best First Feature went to Anthony Chen's Ilo Ilo (it won the equivalent award at Cannes in May and is Singapore's official entry into the Oscar Best Foreign Language Film race), the Best British Newcomer award went to screenwriter Jonathan Asser for Starred Up, and The Selfish Giant leads Conner Chapman and Shaun Thomas, who were nominated for that award, were also commended. Sir Christopher Lee received a BFI Fellowship at the ceremony too.

No comments:

Post a Comment