Saturday 25 May 2013

MORE CANNES AWARDS - POOCHES, POOFS AND PAPS


Some more awards have been handed out at Cannes, each one an independent award.

First up is the Queer Palm, the most famous of these awards. Abdellatif Kechiche's Blue Is the Warmest Colour may have proved stiff competition, but Alain Guiraudie's Stranger by the Lake adds its second award of the day in winning the Queer Palm.

Another of the day's awards was the Palm Dog, which was awarded to Baby Boy, the partially-sighted poodle from Behind the Candelabra. As much as I'm not a fan of using animals for filming, I haven't yet seen the film, and I hope he gets some nice new toys to play with and a big beef shank bone to chew on.

The final award is a new award, and likely one which will become most prestigious over the coming years: the Pierre Angenieux Excellence in Cinematography Honour. The first recipient is Philippe Rousselot, the Oscar-winning DP whose credits include Diva, Dangerous Liaisons and Sherlock Holmes. He's not the first cinematographer I'd award, but then I wasn't on the jury, was I?

No comments:

Post a Comment